- Note: this page is about the wiki specifically for help, administration and development of the MediaWiki 'wiki engine' software.
The MediaWiki.org wiki now provides all documentation, technical support, and surrounding information for the MediaWiki software. Historically, before the MediaWiki.org wiki was created, most of the development and user support information was to be found at Wikimedia Meta-Wiki (an older site, which deals with meta subjects relating to all WMF projects and wikis). The slightly newer MediaWiki.org wiki became the sole place for development, support and documentation of the MediaWiki software, and much of the earlier software-specific content originally created on the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki has now been moved across to the MediaWiki.org wiki.
Both sites are run by the 'not-for-profit' Wikimedia Foundation (WMF); who oversee MediaWiki development, and who also own and run the Wikipedia empire, and all its sister projects. MediaWiki.org wiki is an extremely active and dedicated community; its members include software developers (for both the core MediaWiki software, and the many add-on Extensions), editors of other WMF wikis, and owners/sysops of other independent wikis which also use the MediaWiki software. Major portions of the MediaWiki.org wiki are multilingual, but the primary working language is English.
MediaWiki.org has very few written policies and guidelines, and sysop actions are rarely discussed in any centralized forums. Deletion decisions, for example, are usually made unilaterally by sysops, rather than being processed through "x for deletion" pages. Therefore, MediaWiki.org has been compared to Hollywood depictions of the "old west" in which, after sheriffs (i.e. sysops) have been selected, there is little oversight of what they do.
|Wiki Size:||35,506 pages see stats...|
- MediaWiki.org at Wikimedia Meta-Wiki
- MediaWiki Statistics — stats.Wikimedia.org at Wikimedia Statistics
- MediaWiki Interactive Statistics — from Wikistatistics.net
- MediaWiki.org site info — from Alexa.com
The Wikimedia Foundation (WMF), founded 20 June 2003, is the non-profit organization responsible for a very large number (over 900 in total) of very active wikis, grouped together and known as 'projects'; as well as the wiki engine software initially developed by themselves, known as MediaWiki. The Foundations' major wiki projects include Wikipedia (encyclopedias), Wiktionary (dictionary and thesaurus), Wikiquote (quotations), Wikibooks (open content textbooks), Wikisource (free content primary and secondary source texts), Wikinews (news source), Wikiversity (open learning community), Wikispecies (free species directory), and many others as listed below. Most of these projects have separate wiki versions written in many different languages. There is also the Wikimedia Commons (shared repository for images, videos and other media files), Wikidata (central space knowledge base for data used on all WMF projects), and the Wikimedia Meta-Wiki (coordination of issues common to all Wikimedia projects). The Foundations' global reach is nurtured in its Incubator, where all new language versions for all projects are initiated and developed before being rolled out. Its most recent major project, Wikivoyage (a 'travelpedia'), was inducted to WMF in late 2012.
Wikipedia • Wiktionary • Wikiquote • Wikibooks • Wikisource • Wikinews • Wikiversity • Wikispecies • MediaWiki • Wikidata • Commons • Wikivoyage • Meta-Wiki • Incubator • Labs • Chapters • Wikimania • Outreach • Toolserver • Statistics • Wikitech • Phabricator • Downloads • Blog • Shop • Donate • Login
- Wikimedia Foundation private and management wikis
Board • BoardGovCom • Office • Executive • Internal • Affiliations Committee • OTRS • Collab • Movement Roles • Audit Committee • Search Committee • Advisory Board • Quality • Usability Initiative • Strategic Planning • SP-Com
- Wikimedia.org — portal to all of the major WMF projects
- WikimediaFoundation.org — public WMF wiki
- Complete list of Wikimedia projects — at Wikimedia Meta-Wiki
- List of Wikimedia projects by size (sortable) — at Wikimedia Meta-Wiki
- SiteMatrix table of all Wikimedia wikis — listed by language, project, interproject link, and interwiki, at Wikimedia Meta-Wiki, along with list of all private and management wiki
- Toolserver:Wiki server assignments — formerly at Wikimedia Toolserver, now at MediaWiki.org
- Current status Wikimedia Foundation - Core services — public website health status for Wikimedia Foundation, at status.Wikimedia.org
- Wikistats: Wikimedia Statistics — comprehensive statistics by project – stats.Wikimedia.org at Wikimedia Statistics
- Database dump progress — list of live database dumps at Wikimedia Downloads
- Wikimedia Interactive Statistics[dead link] — from Wikistatistics.net – archived spapshot from archive.is
- Special Wikimedia Projects by size — sortable list from WikiStats by S23.org (last updated 11 September 2011, but still useful information)
- plain-text database list — at noc.Wikimedia.org
- Wikimedia Grid Report — multiple detailed performance graphs from ganglia.Wikimedia.org
- Phabricator — formerly Bugzilla.Wikimedia.org, now phabricator.Wikimedia.org, for bug reporting and software development
- Public Mailing Lists — at lists.Wikimedia.org
- Wikimedia.org site info — from Alexa.com