User talk:Harry Wood
Welcome Harry! Good to see you. Best, MarkDilley
- hehe! Excellent! -- Harry Wood 15:30, 5 Feb 2006 (EST)
Hi Harry, I'm Donny, I submitted PattayaWiki, thanks for clearing up the categories, I am new to Wikis and wasn't sure whether or not to go for a scattergun approach - obviously I got it wrong, sorry about that. I have now checked out other Wikis categorized here as "Places" and am getting a better idea of what is appropriate.
The main guy behind the PattayaWiki is Pete who has been running the PattayaTalk.com forum for about a decade - it's an excellent forum with a lot of knowledgeable regulars. I suggested a wiki because I noticed how a lot of excellent contributions were submerging over time and the same questions were being asked again and again; veteran users were becoming antagonistic towards newbies who apparently didn't know how to use the search feature. I had never run a wiki but am a heavy Wikipedia user and am convinced that, if we can dig out all the wisdom that has been shared over the years in forum and refashion it for the wiki, it will be an extremely useful resource.
I believe that the subject matter is legitimate and, as more and more people relocate or retire to Thailand, it is important that they be informed not only of the highlights but also the pitfalls.
Donny 15:03, 8 Feb 2006 (EST)
- No worries Donny, we are still working out how things happen here. Glad to have you here. Best, MarkDilley | talk
- Hi Donny. Yep I deleted those categories on PattayaWiki because I thought they were bogus, but there is some merit in the 'scattergun approach'. Certainly we are looking to create more categories beyond those we already have. And in fact if we wanted to go for a 'folksonomy' type approach, then actually we would slap in lots of words under each wiki, and later on the more useful/popular words would emerge. Maybe we need to think it through before starting down that route, but it's a possibility. I guess the place to talk about that would be 'Talk:How do tags work'. In the meantime there's probably a few more categories (maybe even some which exist already) which PattayaWiki belongs in. Anyway, welcome Donny! -- Harry Wood
Hi, saw you talking about listing wikis by size automatically. I am currently working on something like that on http://s23.org/wikistats/ You can also find some Wiki statistics in csv format, so you can calculate the wiki growth and make graphs and stuff. Mutante 08:28, 27 Feb 2006 (EST)
- Oh yeah! Automated wiki statistics. Neat! -- Harry Wood 08:25, 9 Mar 2006 (EST)
excellent work detecting the duplication and fixing it! I probably created both those pages, though I'm not going to go back and look ... okay, I looked - it was YOU that created the 2nd version :-) peace, TedErnst | talk 12:45, 2 Mar 2006 (EST)
- Hehe yeah. Oopse. Maybe we need to define a convention on naming of the Naming Conventions page! -- Harry Wood 14:00, 2 Mar 2006 (EST)