WikiIndex:File deletion policy
WikiIndex hosts images and other media files in order to enhance the textual content of this wiki. These media can provide visual context, and make pages more asthetically appealing. Common deletion reasons are listed at the interface page MediaWiki:Filedelete-reason-dropdown, and include:
- Copyright violation
- depending on the license of a certain piece of media, and if someone wants to enforce copyright, we may be obliged to remove someone else's images, sounds, or videos. However, under United States law, we are entitled to host copyright images under a 'fair use' clause.
- Author request
- files which have been uploaded by a user, and that same user asks that it be deleted. This also applies to content in other namespaces.
- Duplicated file
- unneeded identical copies of the same image.
- Not a wiki logo
- most of the files uploaded here are images, and most of those images are wiki logos. We do not provide free personal hosting and files which are not wiki logos should have a clear justification for existing on this site. It's incumbent upon uploaders to provide a rationale for why we should have files that they place here.
- Incorrect image
- factually incorrect, e.g., a logo which is of a different site or a photograph of a wiki person which is actually a photograph of someone else.
- Empty file, no image/video
- missing, corrupted, or otherwise blank media
- content relevant to the mission of WikiIndex, but which is rather patently obscene or meant to arouse, frighten, or anger even reasonable folks than constructively depicting the topic of a wiki or otherwise supportive in the understanding of its mission.
- Other policy violation
- a 'catch all' reason not included in any of the above. One example might include a take down request by a law enforcement agency.
File deletion is up to the discretion of an admin, and it is reversible. Accidents happen, and if you feel like a file deletion was unnecessary or an accident, please contact the deleting admin to review.
- See also