Category talk:Wiki Language
Should there be a distinction between wikis that are bilingual (e.g. WikiIndex-English & French), multilingual (e.g. Wikimedia Commons-multiple languages used within the same wiki), and multiple languages (e.g. most Wikimedia Foundation projects, such as the Wikipedia that have versions in different languages [as subdomains])? User:BlankVerse | talk 00:44, 27 Mar 2006 (EST)
Merge to "Language"?
Wiki Language is confusing - sounds like it's about wiki markup or some such thing. Merge into Category:Language? Articles in Category:Language can stay in the root category, and the subcategory can be for specific languages. --Chris Watkins a.k.a. Singkong2005 talk 21:39, 2 September 2006 (EDT)
"Category:Latin" vs "Category:Wiki Latin"
language category simplification proposal
Someone is starting to set up two parallel categories of languages.
Alas, currently most articles in such categories are miscategorized -- they have one tag when they "should" have the other tag.
Category simplification proposal:
- Add one new category that indicates that our article is about a wiki that discusses some language itself; perhaps Category: linguistic or Category: language.
- Get rid of all the "Category:Wiki Latin" and similar categories; edit pages that use them to use the simpler "Category:Latin" and similar categories.
Advantage: one kind of language category, rather than two, saves time and effort and confusion.
Disadvantage: people looking for a wiki that discusses the Latin language (or discusses some other specific language) must a little more work -- instead of going right to a category that exclusively lists "wiki that discuss the Latin language", they must dig through a long list of wiki in "Category: linguistic" or "Category: language" looking for the wiki that discuss their specific language of interest.
Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages? Are there other advantages/disadvantages that I am missing? --DavidCary 15:17, 3 February 2009 (EST)
- I think Speckmade initiated the parallel categories for languages. I've tried to help correct pages that ended up being miscategorized as a result of the change. However, I would prefer the simpler solution of putting all wikis about language itself into a Category:Linguistics or some such. The disadvantage of not being able to easily find a specific language is true, but I think it's an easier-to-maintain solution. Also, if we find that a sub-category is needed for any particular language due to a large number of entries in the linguistics category, we can always add that later. --MarvelZuvembie 20:36, 30 March 2009 (EDT)
could we use some system of ISO codes?
Category:Wiki Language Rather than use only English names (easy for navigation but arbitrary and defeats multi-lingualism), we could use some system of ISO codes such as "Category:en (English)", "Category:de (German, Deutsch)", "Category:es (Spanish, español)", "Category:zh (Chinese, 中文)". This would have some consistency and standardization while also allowing English to remain a lingua franca and let users find content in their own language. Thoughts? Koavf (talk) 16:02, 29 June 2014 (UTC)
- I think this is a fantastic idea. What can folks do to help? ~~ MarkDilley
I'm not sure this is a good idea. Previous attempts of extended multilingual efforts on WikiIndex failed. The German de.WikiIndex.org failed, as did French & Swedish translations - despite having active editors in those languages.
- Language sorting Then how should we sort them? Do we want this site to be multi-lingual? I would certainly hope so. Koavf (talk) 05:53, 6 July 2014 (UTC)
- I look at is as an "easy" way to take a step in that direction. Makes it more friendly to multi-linguists. Or at least that is the perception I have. ~~ MarkDilley
(imported from the community news page)
- Note: in order to assist readability of included pages, please ensure the template rendering this table is kept at the BOTTOM of the displayed page.
This is the text of the Template:CategoryDiscussions. It is intended to connect the various discussions about categories here on WikiIndex that are taking place (or have previously taken place) on various pages. Please also see WikiIndex:How do categories work, and how to use our template:Tag. If you find a discussion on categories which does not display this message box, please add this template by copying the following
You can also check all pages that link to this template.