WikiIndex:Proposal: domain name change
Result: WikiIndex.org (keep the current)
The sentiments of the active community are pretty clear (see below). This site will remain at WikiIndex.org indefinitely.
Are we going to change our domain name from WikiIndex.org?
Maybe, maybe not. This page is to discuss the options and grow a community consensus.
When would the change occur if we decide to make a change?
Now that the WikiIndex:ServerMove is complete, we'd change the name once a community consensus on the name has been developed.
Can we move to Index.Wiki or another domain name?
Yes. Index.Wiki is reserved by Top Level Design (the .wiki registry) and is available for use by this community if desired.
- Are there any other candidates for the move? This seems like the most natural name. BrandonCsSanders (talk) 18:45, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
If we move to another domain name, would the old domain be kept and forwarded?
I'll let Brandon answer in more detail, but I assume that a requisite for changing domains would be 301 redirecting each page of the old site to the corresponding new site so that no search engine love is lost Raymond King | talk
- Yes, we would redirect all traffic to the new domain name. -- BrandonCsSanders (talk) 20:54, 20 November 2014 (UTC)
Discussion moved from concerns section of WikiIndex:ServerMove
- New Name, new Logo I expect with a certainty of >95% that the new name will be '*.wiki'. Who will host it? create.wiki! What do You see on the frontpage? Exclusively "<some name>.wiki". Will our name have to appear there? You bet! Will it be the only *.org there? That would break the design! So, let the new name be index.wiki or wikiindex.wiki or whatever.wiki, There would have to be a new logo anyway. Manorainjan (talk)
- I suggest to preserve wikiindex.org - this domain (and name) is absolutely reasonable. At least better than something.wiki --Wolf | talk 09:38, 17 November 2014 (UTC)
Let's take the temperature ... perhaps we already all agree? If not we can discuss our concerns. We know we've got consensus if we can get at least 90% of at least 10 WikiIndex people to agree on staying or moving.
- A) Move to http://Index.Wiki
- I think simple and ideal Raymond King | talk
- I'm biased, but I think a .wiki domain is ideal. WikiIndex.wiki was suggested WikiIndex talk:Proposal: domain name change. I am not necessarily opposed to this name, but I do think Index.wiki is simpler and therefore easier to write out and remember. Also, "org" implies "organization" and "wiki" implies a collaborative community. -Jason (talk) 20:25, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
- I'd rather we stay at the current domain but in the next 5 years or so, .com/.net/.org domains will become obsolete for wikis so its best that we stay ahead of time and move to the new domain :) ..--Comets (talk) 01:34, 19 March 2015 (UTC)
- B) Move to http://WikiIndex.Wiki
- I gave my rationale at WikiIndex talk:ServerName#WikiIndex.wiki Manorainjan (talk) 22:02, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
- I like this name, it sounds somewhat authoritative and overarching, as well as not being too distinct from wikiindex.org --Carl McBride (talk) 16:21, 24 March 2015 (UTC)
- C) Stay at http://WikiIndex.org
- I'm rather fond of the current name. Arcane (talk) 20:18, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
- Given the choice I would agree - am ok if community wants to move. ~~ MarkDilley
- It's cute and all, but I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. MarvelZuvembie (talk) 21:55, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
- Index.Wiki would suggest that we're a wiki of indexes, rather than an index of wikis. WikiIndex.Wiki is okay but it doesn't seem to yet be an expectation in the wikisphere that wikis use .Wiki so I don't see a compelling reason to switch. Leucosticte (talk) 23:29, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
- Keep the name. Moving creates disruption in many places, and for years. If someone likes index.wiki, let them reserve it and redirect it here. Stats will then show what is attracting traffic, so maybe later it could be moved, but I doubt we will want it. Index.wiki might be slightly easier to remember, but L. is right, the implication is confusing. Wikindex is a wiki about wikis, and specifically an index of them, so if the wiki TLD were to be used, it would better be wikiindex.wiki. ".org" works just fine. --Abd (talk) 00:37, 14 March 2015 (UTC)
- Stay here. Really the move as I see it does nothing to add to the site. If it is a question of having other TLDs, then why not just redirect to the main one? TeraS (talk)
- This is probably wise if for no other reason than about a decade of incoming links. There must be a way to use HTTP to redirect one domain to the other. If we can assure that all incoming links will work and that our SEO rankings and search indexing, etc. will work properly, then please do move it to index.wiki. Koavf (talk) 22:50, 14 March 2015 (UTC)
- per above --YiFei | talk 09:03, 15 March 2015 (UTC)
- WikiIndex is the best name for a (the!) wiki index, so what domain could fit better than the current one? --Wolf | talk 09:16, 16 March 2015 (UTC)
- My thoughts on this --[[kgh]] (talk) 20:55, 16 March 2015 (UTC)
- WikiIndex.org is a well-established brand, I see no reason to change that. --Jack Phoenix (talk) 19:55, 8 April 2015 (UTC)
- D) Move to http://Switch.Wiki
- This harkens back to the original idea I had for a wiki of wiki ... and would support a move to this name. MarkDilley
- X) I care but I'm not sure which yet (count me as no for all of them)
- BrandonCsSanders (talk) 19:46, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
- Felix Pleşoianu | talk 05:05, 14 March 2015 (UTC)
- Y) I don't care (count me as yes for any of them)