WikiIndex - wikis, wiki people, wiki software, and wiki ideas
Revision as of 06:20, 4 October 2014 by Manorainjan (this link not red!)
- Good question, I believe there is a conversation about that somewhere. What do you think it should be? ~~ MarkDilley
- German is my mother tongue. So I will not mess with English names of mayor categories. Therefore the two question marks.
- They are not missing, they are invitations to be filled in. ~~ MarkDilley
- These two categories were created LONG before I found WikiIndex. As Mark said, we have discussed this previously many times . . . and never really reached a concrete answer. From my own perspective, a category normally always contains more than one article on said subject, so from that logic, categories should be plural. However, if the singular sounds 'better' and more gramatically correct, then use the singular. How's that for some 'fence sitting'???? Sean, aka Hoof Hearted • Admin / 'Crat • talk2HH 22:01, 30 July 2014 (UTC)
OK, I settle on the no-s-side of the fence because of the "keep it simple" POV. It is not wrong to say computer as a label.But it would be wrong to say technologies, even if in America this kind of logical mistake is the norm. And apples would be definitely not something invented in Cupertino. I imagined some serious difference in between the two, but if it is only for the sake of style, cut the s and merge the two!
- Not really There aren't a lot of conventions at all around here, actually. There probably should be. This is a small wiki and I'm glad that you're active lately to try to tidy up some of the fringes. Koavf (talk) 14:24, 5 August 2014 (UTC)
- I took the 'trouble' to check English Wikipedia and found them using 'Computers' as main cat. For the most cases I would not see any need to invent the wheel again and again. Therefore I suggest as a general naming convention of categories that one takes the ones from English Wikipedia wherever one has no striking argument against it. Wiki is about collecting information collectively for that so many others can make use of it. That should apply for structure as well. Manorainjan (talk) 22:29, 5 August 2014 (UTC)