Bienvenido a Wikitravel, un proyecto dedicado a crear una guía de viajes global, libre, completa, actualizada y de confianza, que recientemente ha superado en sus diversas versiones las 10.000 guías y artículos, escritos y editados por Wikiviajantes procedentes de todos los rincones del globo. En español hay 665 guías y otros artículos.
Visita la página de ayuda para informarte de como editar las guías y artículos y así aportar tus conocimientos a la comunidad de Wikiviajantes.
|Wiki Size:||1,946 pages see stats...|
(As of: 2013-10-23)
Wikitravel – The Free Travel Guide — is a wiki travel guide, founded in 2003 by Evan Prodromou and Michelle Anne Jenkins, now currently owned by Internet Brands, Inc., is an advertising-supported (GoogleAds and Adtrue) free, world-wide travel guide in many languages. They have several thousand destination guides and other articles written and edited by 'Wikitravellers' from around the globe (some of whom just sit at home describing what's good about their surroundings). Wikitravel wikis previously supported the OpenID universal log-in until the March 2013 software upgrade. The individual language projects do not support CentralAuth, so editors must register for each wiki individually, as well as Wikitravel Shared – the multilingual media repository for the project.
One of the more interesting project goals is to create destination guides which are useful as printouts, i.e., not always linking to sub-pages, but distilling the most useful information about each travel destination. For a good example see the 'destination of the month' on the English Wikitravel main page.
In April 2006, Wikitravel and World66, both open content wiki travel guides, were acquired by Internet Brands, Inc., an American commercial 'for profit' company that operates a number of consumer information websites. Following this acquisition, Internet Brands have progressively alienated their core Wikitravel editors, by placing increasing amounts of adverts on wiki pages, failing to provide technical support and software upgrades, and denying database downloads of user-submitted content. As a result, a group of German Wikitravel editors forked their German- and Italian-language Wikitravels to a new site which they called Wikivoyage; with other language versions subsequently doing the same.
In early 2013, Wikivoyage became an integral new 'project' of the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) – and whilst the two sites still co-exist, Wikitravel has declined in its quality of editing. As a seemingly act of desperation, on the main front page of the English Wikitravel, there is a prominent claim – "(Wikitravel) ... is the premier travel wiki on the Internet" – with a link to Time.com. However, the content contained within that Time link is extremely stale and out-dated; it was published in 2007 under the title: "50 Best Websites 2008"!
- Wikitravel — an early discussion from 2003-2005 at Wikimedia Meta-Wiki
- Article on Wikitravel — from MeatballWiki
- Wikitravel — at the English Wikipedia
- Wikitravel Interactive Statistics [dead link] — from Wikistatistics.net
- Wikitravel (de) profile — from WikiApiary
- Wikitravel downloads[fix me] — Wikiteam
- Wikitravel editors abandon Internet Brands, join up with Wikipedia — Gyrovague.com; 2012/07/12
- Challenges of merging communities: the case of WikiTravel and WikiVoyage — governance across borders; July 13, 2012
- Wikivoyage and Wikitravel — at the English Wikivoyage
- Wikitravel — at Wikidata
- See also
- JAMGuides – a mirror of Wikitravel which uses the JAMWiki engine; after the Wikivoyage merge with the WMF, JAMGuides redirects to Wikivoyage
- Wikivoyage – a fork done by some German and Italian Wikitravellers in 2006, which aims to be a non-commercial alternative with transparent and democratic internal structures, along with their plans in 2012 to migrate to the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF)
- OxygenGuide – an independent offline copy of the Wikivoyage travel guide, restyled for smartphones, based on work by all volunteers of Wikivoyage and Wikitravel
Wikitravel Shared (image depository)
1,000+: Deutsch (de), Español (es), Finnish (fi), Français (fr), Italian (it), Japanese (ja), Dutch (nl), Polish (pl), Portuguese (pt), Russian (ru), Swedish (sv)
Bubbling under: Arabic (ar), Catalan (ca), Esperanto (eo), Hebrew (he), Hindi (hi), Hungarian (hu), Korean (ko), Romanian (ro), Chinese (zh)