The term sysop, also written as SysOp, originates from a shortened portmanteau of 'system operator'. On a wiki or other systems which deal with user accounts online; such as bulletin board systems or internet forums, and offline; as in corporate intranet, are also known as administrators (which is itself frequently shortened to admins for brevity). Sysops / administrators can perform administrative functions that regular user account holders are unable to do. Sysops can block difficult people (both registered users and / or IP editors) or unblock them, and can delete pages containing spam and / or vandalism. Sysops can also protect pages, unprotect them, and edit protected pages.
All wiki using the MediaWiki software are able to display a full list of current sysops of their wiki, found at /Special:ListUsers/sysop (unless the individual site owner specifically choose to withold that information). Other wiki engines either don't have easy ways to publish a list of sysops, or the wiki is beautifully simple and doesn't need such a role.
Contrary to bureaucrats, sysops aren't necessarily the 'leaders' of wikis; sysops are better compared to 'janitors', because their primary role is to clean up all the wiki crap; such as deleting spam and reverting vandalism.
- Special:ListUsers/sysop — sysops of WikiIndex
- mw:Special:ListUsers/sysop — sysops of MediaWiki.org
- All sysops of English Wikipedia – nearly 1,500!
List of WikiIndex sysops
Recently active sysops include:
- BrandonCsSanders (bureaucrat, staff)
- Hoof Hearted (bureaucrat, check user, interwiki, SMW admin, staff)
- Jack Phoenix (bureaucrat, check user, interwiki)
- Koavf (bureaucrat, check user, interwiki, SMW admin, staff)
- MarkDilley (bureaucrat, leader, check user, interwiki)
- Rathbone (bureaucrat, interwiki, staff)
- Zhuyifei1999 (check user)
To see the complete list of WikiIndex sysops, please go to Special:ListUsers/sysop
- Category:Active administrators of this wiki
- Category:User Bot
- Help:Group rights