Please keep in mind that everything on this page is a suggestion. These aren't hard and fast policies, but they're proposals that are actively receiving edits... so they matter as far as describing and organizing the wiki, but they don't have 'real authority' other than the fact that at least one person is editing according to this scheme and no objections have been added to the proposal.
Avoiding vanity categories
Individual articles should probably be 'at the right generality if they're actually general', and and as local as they can get if they're not... so long as it doesn't lead to 'vanity categories' where they're the only thing in the category (a single entry category). Example: if you have a wiki about a specific neighborhood of New York City, then it doesn't deserve it's own "New York City Neighborhood Category" until the New York City category already has like maybe three places that obviously could be categorized with the more specific neighborhood cat.
The 'tree' structure to aim for
Wikipedia's stub categories for Geography > place-related are the model here because they've probably already face our situation and fixed it 'about right'. Here is the basic tree structure we should be slowly editing towards:
- African countries as necessary — from Algeria to Zimbabwe alphabetically
- Category:Central Asia
- as necessary — from Afghanistan to Uzbekistan alphabetically
- Category:East Asia
- Category:Middle East
- as necessary — from Bahrain to United Arab Emirates alphabetically
- Category:South Asia
- as necessary — from Bangladesh to Sri Lanka alphabetically
- Category:South East Asia
- as necessary — from Brunei to Thailand alphabetically
- Category:Central Asia
- Category:Australasia and Oceania
- as necessary — from Albania to United Kingdom alphabetically
- Category:North and Central America
- as necessary — from Alberta to Yukon Territory alphabetically
- as necessary — from Barbados to Haiti alphabetically
- Category:United States
- as necessary — from Alaska to Wisconsin alphabetically
- Category:Central America
- as necessary — from Belize to Panama alphabetically
- Category:South America
- as necessary — from Argentina to Venezuela alphabetically
- Note: in order to assist readability of included pages, please ensure the template rendering this table is kept at the BOTTOM of the displayed page.
This is the text of the Template:CategoryDiscussions. It is intended to connect the various discussions about categories (also called 'tags') that are taking place (or have previously taken place) on various pages here on WikiIndex. If you find a discussion on categories that does not have this template, please add this template by copying the following
You can also check all pages that link to this template.