- See also: Talk:Wikipedia.
Wiki Topic template
Mark, I like this idea. It took me a while to understand it. Now that I do, I like it. There's a problem here that we have to fix. Remember when we developed the Wiki Engine template? We couldn't just use the Wiki template because it made sub-categories of All, Vibrant, etc. The same is true here. And we decided at that time to use a soft-redirect from the main namespace page to the category page so that we could put the categories there (all, vibrant, etc). I think we need to do the same here. I'm going to give it a shot, okay? TedErnst | talk 12:53, 11 June 2006 (EDT)
- Okay, I went ahead and made the new template. I'm not sure what to do about the Wikimedia Foundation category, however. Any thoughts? TedErnst | talk 13:07, 11 June 2006 (EDT)
Want a challenge?
I think it's a little bit messy, if you want a challenge, you can do this to tidy up: I.e. on the English page write [[Category:Wikipedia|en]] and so on for all the languages. Somebody up? – Smiddle / T·C·S·A 16:29, 21 October 2006 (EDT)
- Just to clarify, you would prefer to alphabetize by the ISO language code rather than the pagename? That sounds reasonable, but I worry that the casual observer won't understand how we've organized the category. After all, the language codes do not appear in the pagename. Of course, I can't read Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, or Thai, so it's not easy to tell which wiki is which in this category anyway. --MarvelZuvembie 15:18, 4 December 2008 (EST)
I wanted to look at WikiIndex's page about Wikipedia and noticed Category:Wikipedia has external link to PlaceOpedia. Should WikiIndex have a page about PlaceOpedia? I was going to start an article, but wasn't sure what shape the article should take (PlaceOpedia doesn't seem like a wiki, so I'm guessing template:wiki should not be used on it. --EarthFurst 16:07, 4 May 2007 (PDT)
- PlaceOpedia hasn't been updated for over four years - its' last update was August 2008. Should we delete its external link from the template? Sean, aka Hoof Hearted • Admin • talk2HH 15:21, 6 December 2012 (PST)
Hey. At Wikipedia I was once a welcoming and promising user but first Marcus-E, then Metros and finally Alison teamed up and stole my chances of being famous.(126.96.36.199 01:20, 7 March 2008 (EST))
Is Wikipedia too big?
This question is currently posed in the description of this category? Is this something we really want to ask? I'm new here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the point of WikiIndex was to list wikis, not to comment on them. --MarvelZuvembie 15:10, 4 December 2008 (EST)
- Is there a better place to compare and contrast wiki with each other, than WikiIndex?
- I agree that it seems odd to pose this question here, on a "category" page -- shouldn't most of the text on this page be on some normal "article" page (perhaps Wikipedia), rather than on this category page? --DavidCary 22:22, 4 December 2008 (EST)
- Well, I suppose we could. There doesn't seem to be a "neutral point of view" policy for WikiIndex. However, it seems to me that this would lead to more edit wars like have occurred with the article for Conservapedia. If we do want to provide subjective commentary, however, I would put it on the talk page, a "/" subpage, or in a separate section of the article. I definitely don't think it belongs here in the category definition. --MarvelZuvembie 16:16, 5 December 2008 (EST)
Proposed language renaming
OK, this was sorta raised above at #Want a challenge?. I would like to propose we rename all the Wikipedia articles, so that their article page name here on WikiIndex is changed to the english translation of their native language name. I think we ought to follow the naming conventions which Wikipedia uses; the article page name is the english translation, and the 'infobox' shows the english translation, then the native language name, and/or, if need be, the name shown in actual script. Wikimedia Meta-Wiki also follows this model, as shown in the tables listed here.
A current example ripe for a rename:
- Current article page name: עברית ויקיפדיה
- Proposed article page name: Hebrew Wikipedia
- And corrected infobox name display:
Hebrew Wikipedia עברית ויקיפדיה
This would then result in a much clearer, easier to understand listing in the Category:Wikipedia - will be organised alphabetically by english language name - because I'm sure that a listing in the category of 'עברית ויקיפדיה' would probably be ignored by most, on the basis of not understanding it.
For the Template:Wikipedia, we should continue to organise it by the relevant ISO abbreviation, but display both english and native language for the wikilink - "Hebrew Wikipedia/עברית ויקיפדיה". Hoof Hearted • talk2HH 03:38, 3 October 2012 (PDT)