WikiIndex:2018 upgrade requests
WikiIndex:2018 upgrade requests — this page can be used by all editors and visitors to request upgrades and / or new features here on WikiIndex. Please try to ensure such requests will be compatible with, and / or complimentary to our current operating configuration of MediaWiki, namely version 1.24.2, and (crucially) our Semantic MediaWiki configuration. One such compatibility request relates to our desire to generate and publish the relevant statistical data required for calculating the wikiFactor, as referenced in the Extension:HitCounters section below. Should you be unsure of compatibility, please say so with your request, and the WikiIndex community can discuss and hopefully clarify, or seek advice from the wider wikisphere.
Please do not use this page to report any bugs or errors, those can be listed in WikiIndex:2018 bugs.
Please list each specific feature request under its own section heading. Feel free to add your own experiences, comments, etc, but please do not delete any comment should you personally be against any said proposal (though you may add a comment to that effect, and explain any concerns, should it arise).
MediaWiki core version
Our current MediaWiki version 1.24.2 is somewhat outdated. It might seem prudent to upgrade to a much more recent version. Please discuss below.
- Strong oppose as proposer. With each new version of MediaWiki, it is evident that MediaWiki is becoming excessively bloated by features requested by, and significantly for the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) wiki projects, and their whimsical and cleakey users. Many of these WMF-specific features are to the detriment of independent wikis (such as this WikiIndex wiki), and crucially to us, have zero regard to sites which use Semantic MediaWiki (SMW). Many wiki farms refuse to upgrade to latest versions of MediaWiki, and run perfectly satisfactorily; examples include Wikia (v.1.19.24) and ShoutWiki (v.1.29.0), and crucially to us Referata (v.1.26.4) who are a SMW-enabled farm. Sean, aka Hoof Hearted • Admin / 'Crat • talk2HH
- Support Strongly. OhNoitsJamie Talk 13:54, 9 October 2018 (UTC)
MediaWiki version 1.25 removes the Special:PopularPages we rely on to generate page view statistics which we then use to calculate wikiFactor (wF) score. If / when we upgrade our MW core version, we will need to add Extension:HitCounters to retain and output our page view stats. Note that this HitCounters extension MUST use MW v.1.25 core to carry forward our existing page views. If we skip the MW v.1.25 version during upgrade, and try to add HitCounters at MW v.1.26 or later, our existing page views will all be reset to zero!
Extension:Merge (and delete)
- Strong support as proposer. Sean, aka Hoof Hearted • Admin / 'Crat • talk2HH
- Support Strongly, particularly to remove the dozens of accounts that are just long strings of random numbers that obstruct the display of the user list. OhNoitsJamie Talk 13:54, 9 October 2018 (UTC)
Suppression / Oversight
Add suppression / oversight into the configuration, which allows staff members to delete pages, revisions, and log entries, and prevent regular admins from viewing them. It also allows staff members to indefinitely block an account and remove its username from the user list and most logs / histories. This would be an alternative way to remove the spam accounts, and can also be used in the event that personal information or illegal content is ever posted to this wiki.
- Support as proposer. OhNoitsJamie Talk 13:54, 9 October 2018 (UTC)
I have noticed some of the Uncyclopedia wikis have a Special:RefreshSpecial, which when used, forces a page cache refresh on user-selectable Special pages. Its MediaWiki.org extension goes by the same name: Extension:RefreshSpecial, and it was co-created by Jack Phoenix, and so will be awesome!