|Wiki size:||1,945 article pages see stats|
|wikiFactor:||36 info / verify|
(Page count as of: 2023-07-02
wikiFactor as of: 2014-07-01)
Citizendium (CZ) is a wiki site that aims to gather free knowledge similarly to Wikipedia, but where authors use their real names. The wiki's current working style and goals (since the 2020 ownership change) are discussed here. In 2022, the wiki has 1175 developed articles, 8824 developing articles, and several thousand stubs. It also still has 153 so-called 'Citable' articles which were formerly approved by 'experts'.[clarify please] The status of these is currently under review, and many are being reverted to regular status due to not having been kept up-to-date. As of 2022, the participation rate is low (only a few dozen contributors), but the experience for contributors is arguably more congenial and productive than for comparable wikis with anonymous contributors.
2006: original Citizendium
The Citizendium wiki site was founded by Wikipedia co-founder Larry Sanger, together with Peter Hitchmough, in October 2006 (although not 'officially' launched until 28 March 2007) to remedy what he viewed as problems with Wikipedia. The site requires the use of verifiable real names, and it originally required academic credentials (no longer true). Authors use their real names, and must provide a brief description of their credentials on the User page. Initially, the community considered forking the English Wikipedia, but decided against it.
2020: Citizendium restart
Larry Sanger became largely inactive in the project after 2010, and it has since had three-to-four different primary editors. In 2020, Larry Sanger transferred ownership of the domain to the current primary editor.
From its foundation in 2006 under the tenure of Larry Sanger, the Citizendium wiki released its textual content under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike 3.0 Unported license (CC-BY-SA-3.0). From its 2020 restart, it changed to the more restrictive Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike 4.0 International license (CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0).
- Citizendium — at WikiApiary.com (founded 2011), the wiki site for detailed information on all MediaWiki-powered websites
- Wikistats v2.2 at WikiStats.WMCloud.org; independent MediaWiki statistics from mutante, hosted by Wikimedia Cloud Services (WMCS) — from
- Article — from the English Wikipedia
- 2006: original Citizendium
- Citizendium Statistics — detailed statistics displayed in textual and graphical formats, but article count totals are always shown on the Welcome page
- Citizendium – A study in momentum killing — Terrell Russell (13 October 2006), weblog.TerrellRussell.com
- Racism and Sexism at Citizendium — Kali Tal (28 November 2006), www.KaliTal.com, via Archive.org
- Wikipedia founder's scholarly web venture plays host to a war of words — TimesHigherEducation.com at Times Higher Education, 22 January 2009
- Citizendium: the encyclopedia only pro-homeopathy editors can edit — Adam Cuerden (12 February 2009), www.ReinderDijkhuis.com at Obsession Du Jour
- Citizendium isn't interested in your opinion — www.DaveyDweeb.com at DaveyDweeb blog
- Citizendium — at the former Argopaedia, via archive.is