Mark Dilley wins another victory in the fight against unnecessary complexity
I guess I was expecting dozens of people to each insert their pet peeve into the WikiIndex talk:Blocking Policy#draft blocking policy proposal, making it balloon up into a huge monster of complexity.
I am pleasantly surprised that you made it shorter. Also, it makes me happy that you deleted my negative language about "warning" and replaced it with a more positive alternative. --DavidCary 01:44, 8 September 2009 (EDT)
The value of discussion
Discussion is also work, unless not completed and hanging in the air for years. Even then it is work, only without result. Naturally it is easier to do little edits here and there and consider that as work with results rather than coming to a conclusion in a debate since the later requires more staying power.
I do not mind if anybody improves my statements on a talk page like better link format. But whatever I write there should not be changed in the wording and left with my signature. That would be forgery, that is not me any more. My statements are not articles to be edited. Manorainjan (talk) 20:27, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
- I really am not getting into an argument about discussion and work. :-) ~~ MarkDilley
- You are not getting into it, You where the one who started it in the first place. Manorainjan (talk) 21:11, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
- Manorainjan, maybe it's a second language thing, but the tone of your words seems hostile. Might I suggest you take a rest from this subject? --MarvelZuvembie (talk) 21:16, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
- I do not think it's about tone. But if You think, You can explain it. Manorainjan (talk) 21:26, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
- You are not getting into it, You where the one who started it in the first place. Manorainjan (talk) 21:11, 13 August 2014 (UTC)
- I apologize, I didn't mean to say that discussion was not work, when in fact it is sometimes the hardest work. ~~ MarkDilley
How community works
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." is one of seven quotes inscribed on the walls at the gravesite of John F. Kennedy at Arlington National Cemetery.
In that spirit it does not bring forward community feeling by howling that one is not part of it but by active participation and invitation for others to participate. Now, on the one hand You are acting 'nice' by welcoming new users and telling them to BeBold. But on several occasions where I acted semi-bold and discussed a change with a 'senior' user You where howling 'I am not involved in the conversation'. So, what I did was to shift this topic in front and invited the community to discuss it there. Now the question arises why didn't You do that in the first place, being more senior and obviously feeling the need for participation showing me HowTo CommunityCate? Now, I went further and informed other Users who obviously did not take note of this discussion. Rather than supporting the unfinished discussion You started to discourage my efforts by belittling the value of discussion calling then 'endless' which is an euphemism for useless and without result and contradicting discussion with 'work' as a symbol for productivity. Also You potentially started a separation of 'me' and what I do (endless discussion) and what You call 'we' and what actually You personally allegedly are doing. this is neither 'wok' AKA little edits here and there nor promoting community AKA discussion for finding solutions with which everybody can live nicely.
What You got to do now is, to find Your inner motivation what drove You to disturb constructive discussions and then redirect this motivation into a more productive strategy that supports the progress of a community. Manorainjan (talk) 13:34, 14 August 2014 (UTC)
Should we have alternative infoboxes besides Template:Wiki?
Improving the community
Regarding Your 'envisioning' the Community portal to be of any use for community or discussion, how shall this question WikiIndex talk:Opt out be treated, how would the community be 'notified' about it? Manorainjan (talk) 14:35, 4 September 2014 (UTC)
- Upgrading to a clean install of the latest stable version was hoped to have resolved that issue. It hasn't. That is the place where we are at now. ~~ MarkDilley
You told me, that some user account do not have this problems. From there I concluded, that it is not a software problem. the Problem sits in the net. It got to do with mail servers and blacklists.Manorainjan (talk)
PS: When this update was done?
Wikipedia has no page about us: List of wikis
And then the ivory tower inhabitants wonder why this Wiki does not grow a stronger user base within the said 8+ years... Who is the PR secretary of this one-horse town? Manorainjan (talk) 22:03, 10 September 2014 (UTC)
- Sounds like a founding member to me, if he was already engaged on the preceding project. Manorainjan (talk)
... You said 2007 ...
Can You give a definition of 'Project:' namespace?
- They are typically the name of the wiki, also called meta pages. Sean, aka Hoof Hearted • Admin / 'Crat • talk2HH 22:53, 15 September 2014 (UTC)
Do You ever read your facebook mails? M.
new WikiIndex logo
- Really? As Sean suggests, a sunflower with the brackets around it is copyrighted. Makes sense to me. ~~ MarkDilley
- and looks like it is in the public domain, thanks YiFei.
blocked from doing work
I think the biggest thing for you to do Manorainjan, is to slow down here. Best, MarkDilley
- What would be the advantage of being slow? the one who does mistakes should be more careful. Maybe he should 'slow' down, take a vacation. I'm fine. My mind is concentrated. I'm in good mood. What is wrong with that? M.
I'm the last one to avoid any discussion ;-) But Sean has blocked every possible aspect of my account regarding communication, even internal mail which is needed for this part: User is blocked Jump to: navigation, search Your username or IP address has been blocked. The block was made by Hoof Hearted. The reason given is no reason given. Start of block: 14:17, 19 September 2014 Expiry of block: 14:17, 26 September 2014 Intended blockee: Manorainjan You can contact Hoof Hearted or another administrator to discuss the block. You cannot use the 'email this user' feature unless a valid email address is specified in your account preferences and you have not been blocked from using it. Your current IP address is 188.8.131.52, and the block ID is #19490. Please include all above details in any queries you make. M.
The reason Sean gave was copyright violations, repeated disruption to WikiIndex, refusing to following community-agreed standards in the first block. ~~ MarkDilley
- The log summary helps make people realize there was more misbehavior after the unblock; otherwise, the reblock makes it look like there was a wheel war. Special:Logs/block. Leucosticte (talk) 22:20, 19 September 2014 (UTC)
There was and is no wheel war.
- Sean blocked my account
- Mark expressed that he did not agree with that.
- Sean ignored that
- YiFei, being more practical than talkative unblocked my account, expressing his opinion by this.
- Sean disrespected both and blocked my account again.
- Mark repeated his difference in opinion
- Sean kept his stubborn attitude and silence.
That's it. Now the thing hangs in the middle kind of. Sean puts his nose deep in 'work' trying his very, very best to ignore my IP edits or anybody's comments on this 'case' and passes his chances to 'range block' the IPs I'm using. And none of the sysops like to stir anybody up further. So, Your expectation of a wheel war will go unfulfilled. I'm not sorry about this.Manorainjan (talk)
- How was that not a wheel war? Are you saying that the battle was only hypothetical and not real? Leucosticte (talk) 23:41, 19 September 2014 (UTC)
You seam to have serious difficulties to understand the motivations of people. First of all there was no intention of waging a war from any side, especially not amongst the sysops. Everybody expressed their opinion in their specific way, once. Only mark did the same thing twice. But he did no reverts, blocks or unblocks at all. So, nothing to see here, keep moving! Manorainjan (talk)
- If there were a fight, who do you think would win? What odds would you place on the various combatants? Also, are you willing to provoke enough fights (n >= 30) that we will have a statistically significant sample with which to judge the accuracy of your predictions? Also, how much money can we bring into the WikiIndex coffers by taking the wiki private and charging the public for admission to see the fight? Leucosticte (talk) 00:04, 20 September 2014 (UTC)
- That's only true if the last man standing is mortally wounded before he finishes everyone else off. Leucosticte (talk) 00:10, 20 September 2014 (UTC)
Hey Birdy, if You can't sleep, do something useful: Table of results M.
Mark, there are numerous reasons why the above user should be blocked, some of them extremely serious, and I must insist that the block should stand. I will detail my reasons on Monday, when I have more time and less interuptions. I would appreciate that you support your fellow sysops, rather than constantly over-rulling them. Respectfully yours, Sean, aka Hoof Hearted • Admin / 'Crat • talk2HH 21:00, 21 September 2014 (UTC)
We got to change this page in order to supply necessary information right there.
- I would also like to include in WikiIndex:Real names that using a RN is appreciated but optional.
- What about that field in request form? Is it optional or compulsory?
- The form does not explicitly tell which field needs to be filled!! There is lack of clarity. That does not support the generation of trust. I cannot continue to write help text if I do not know the conditions of account creation.
- I also suggest to trim this page quite a lot. For example "Other information" should be omitted.
- This page is the very entry point for wiki community. This and the following procedures are absolutely vital for it's growth.
- I also may be lacking some technical terms here. Request, creation, validation, 'approval'?
- The page treats email verification and account approval as the same thing with the same word.
- The main page navigation speaks of Request and the Help page of create account. There should not be a difference.
This is a proposal for a new wiki community related feature.
I hope You like the idea and find a way to integrate this table on Your User Page.
|yes||no time until 4-11-2014||-||bureaucrat|
It's first try. I'm happy if You help to improve it. Details filled in lines other than mine are of course only for demonstration. I'm curious to see how You might fill it. --Manorainjan (talk) 00:27, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
- I am extremely busy for this month with the political season in the states. The comments I have are not easily shortened. Will have to get to it later. Best, MarkDilley
No time at all? Manorainjan 07:20, 12 August 2015 (PDT)
You will be interested in that WikiIndex talk:Real names#How real is the support for real names on this_Wiki.3F and we will be curious to get further input from You, Mr. Leader ;-) Manorainjan (talk) 19:11, 22 October 2014 (UTC)
What serves the community?
Do You think, it serves the community if You let people invent structures for apparently no reason and not teach them how to interact with community, how to introduce new intended concepts and how to get feedback from the peers? How will this serve qualitative or quantitative growth of community? This is not a rhetoric question. I expect an explanation of "What in the world where You thinking?" Manorainjan (talk) 10:49, 27 October 2014 (UTC)
It took You two years to have no answer at all. --Manorainjan 10:09, 16 June 2016 (PDT)
Request for ServerMove concerns
Hi MarkDilley. Since you are one of the most active contributors here I wanted to be sure to draw your attention to the upcoming ServerMove and solicit your help in making the transition a positive rather than negative experience. Please take a moment to visit ServerMove and curate the list of concerns. Thanks! -- BrandonCsSanders (talk) 22:39, 14 November 2014 (UTC)
Mark, I patiently waited for You to moan. So no is the time: You are the "elder". It is You who should teach me how to set up a wiki farm entry, not the other way around.
- And it is not me who should need to counter-check Your edits.
- The leader of a wiki is to set a good example. Moaning and leading exclude each other. Manorainjan (talk) 17:46, 15 November 2014 (UTC)
Manorainjan, as the 'elder' here I gave clear direction on how the interaction on the wiki would be better for you. I said, instead of coming to my page and telling me I did something wrong, just fix it. That is how I teach you how to interact on this wiki. ~~ MarkDilley
Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other. John F. Kennedy
Vacations are for the tiered ones. I'm not tiered. And You will not pay my vacations anyway. So, do not ask me, do not interfere in my schedule.
But if You got tiered, I prepared something nice for You, something I "envisioned" some time ago:
WikiIndex talk:Community portal#We need to have a community discussion about Nathania.2FNathan Larson.2FUser:Leucosticte. Honestly, this has really been weighing on me and I am extremely uncomfortable with this content. I know we've spoken about it before but I finally took some rogue admin action about it and deleted some of the links to content about CP. I can't handle it. We shouldn't be linking to that material here or allowing someone to overrun this site with niche vanity wikis. Koavf (talk) 06:08, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
Mark, I agree that your input on this would be useful. Some clarity is needed on whether this project is open to listing every wiki, or whether there's going to be some restriction on scope. No clear standard has been set as to what content isn't allowed, other than obvious linkspam to non-wiki websites, and I think that previously the door has been wide open to covering the whole wikisphere, and that that is how the situation should remain. The vast majority of WikiIndex deals with niche wikis, and that includes a handful of vanity wikis, aka blikis. Leucosticte (talk) 18:02, 21 November 2014 (UTC)
What is a community response to this? Free speech or not having CP here... and not a rogue admin action, no, simply editing. ~~ MarkDilley
- I don't understand what you're saying. Can you rephrase that? Thanks. Leucosticte (talk) 19:16, 23 November 2014 (UTC)
- The template? There are lots of templates. Which one? What function is this serving? Koavf (talk) 20:05, 25 November 2014 (UTC)
BackupData not available for the community
at WikiIndex:Consensus You wrote that ray "provides" the Backup data. How and where does he do this? Where can members of this "community" get hands on it?Manorainjan (talk) 11:48, 7 January 2015 (UTC)
- From Your one month of silence I conclude, that the backup is not available for the community. Also I conclude, that You Yourself are not available for Work on this wiki. Manorainjan (talk) 12:08, 14 February 2015 (UTC)
- Usually it's necessary to redact sensitive data anyway, or export it as XML files or something. You can create your own backup by setting up a script to export everything. I've done it before. It is kind of a PITA, though. There was also mw:User:Leucosticte/Doing the Newgon stuff, instructions for exporting stuff from NewgonWiki. Leucosticte (talk) 10:09, 22 February 2015 (UTC)
Your silly comment about WikiWikiWeb
- My efforts can not close WikiWikiWeb. Ward is the only one who can close it.
- They have not moved it.
- And one can not move it to Smallest Federated Wiki because that is an engine and not a wiki.
- there is no reason whatsoever why I should not edit a page which contains mistakes.
Weigh in on WikiIndex:ServerName#Poll?
I wanted to be sure to draw your attention to a potential decision to change the domain of this wiki. I hope you'll weigh in with your opinion. Thanks! BrandonCsSanders (talk) 20:09, 13 March 2015 (UTC)
Hey Mark, what was that?
Was the news in this that You woke up and finally noticed something?
I moved Your "news" to the proper place: WikiIndex talk:ServerMove#Google AdSense
Please explain It seems like we have IP editing but we also have a procedure for requesting an account: that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Can you explain this? Koavf (talk) 13:08, 21 May 2015 (PDT)
- We always hat both, IP-editing and accounts. This is not new and just like on Wikipedia. What is there to explain? We prefer accounts, but don't force it. We prefer real names but don't force it. We perfer pictures in the profiles but don't force it. Manorainjan 13:36, 21 May 2015 (PDT)
- There is quite a difference between something that You don't grasp and something that does not make sense. If You say it does not make sense than it means it is objectively wrong. But if You say it does not make sense to You, it means You simply don't get it. And that is here the case. The situation as is, the possibility of IP editing & accounts at the same time, that makes a lot of sense. Normally I do not use argument by authority or so, but in this case it makes sense: IP editing & accounts is the situation on the whole of Wikipedia. Now You say, You know better than all of them ;-) Say they got no success. Manorainjan 13:55, 21 May 2015 (PDT)
- Stop please Don't change the titles of my posts anymore. Even if you don't like them. In English, you don't capitalize every noun as in German. The only pronoun which is capitalized is "I" or any one that starts a sentence. I have no clue what your response is saying: it's not intelligible to me. You will have to rephrase it if you want me to understand or you can just let Mark respond on his own talk page to a question directed at him in the first place. Thanks anyway. Koavf (talk) 14:03, 21 May 2015 (PDT)
Koavf, it seems odd to me as well. Why do we require approval for an account in order to edit if anonymous can just edit anyway? Why not just allow anyone to create an account and edit if we are going to let ips edit? One of the major forms of spam on mediawiki installations follows the pattern 1. create account, 2. upload picture, 3. edit page with picture and lots of spam, 4. go away forever. The ConfirmAccount extension puts a large dent into that particular spam strategy. A second majore form of spam comes from anonymous editing from ips. We require ip edits to pass a simple captcha to cut down on spam from them. Accounts don't have to fill in the captcha. Does that explanation make sense? BrandonCsSanders (talk) 22:21, 21 May 2015 (PDT)
- In order to save this edit I had to answer the question: "What is the name of this wiki?" -- Brandon as 184.108.40.206 22:22, 21 May 2015 (PDT)
- Spam filtering Nice. So the spam that we have recently received was from a human that copy and pasted it onto the wiki rather than a bot just drive-by spamming? Koavf (talk) 22:50, 21 May 2015 (PDT)
So, as it was to be expected, Mark did not make any useful input to this question. I wonder why You Koavf started this question at this deserted space wich has a long history of unanswered questions? Why not at Category talk:Active administrators of this wiki?
- You can stop now It's only been a few hours--get over it. I posted here because Mark knows something about the backend of how the site works. If I just wanted to get an admin's attention, I could have done it myself as I am an admin here. You can stop posting here now unless you have something useful to say. Koavf (talk) 06:07, 22 May 2015 (PDT)
See WikiIndex:Community portal/News#01 February 2014 for the related discussion. In short, many spamming technologies change over time. Once upon a time spam was crazy, but my filter was powerful enough to filter most of them out. Then spammers decided to stop. They spammed with usernames instead, which again got filtered. Then spammers decided to simply flood accounts with random names. This, however, could not be prevented. That made some admins stressed, so Confirm Account was installed.
However, things change. Spammers no longer try for accounts. They simply started spamming without account instead. I would develop some filters against this, but I see no easy algorithm to identify such edits. --YiFei | talk 05:50, 24 May 2015 (PDT)
Relevant part of Discussion copied here: WikiIndex talk:Spam Control Policy#2015 discussion
Hi Gabriele, just checking, are you requesting deletion of your account page? If so, I am confused by this request. Let me know. Best, MarkDilley
Why not public?
Hey Mark, if You don't want to take responsibility WikiIndex_talk:Community_portal#Adminship.2C_how_to_promote then why do You discuss such matters concerning us all so privately instead of on the community portal or at least on the admin board? Is this Your 'vision' of community building? Manorainjan 09:23, 8 June 2015 (PDT)
When You like something, facts become irrelevant?
Do You want to do something useful?
Hey Mr. Comunity-building, this user which You created seems to be unresponsive to whatever one writes to him. And he loves to delete historical data. --Manorainjan 02:02, 8 January 2016 (PST)
Since You did not understand that quotation and asked for an explanation: You may know it in its imprecise form: "Those who do not remember their history are doomed to repeat it." It is about our mission statement, co-created by You, that we do record wiki history as well. Why are we doing so? I don't know why You would like to, but in the light of said quotation we do record wiki history in order to help wiki people, those people who not only consume wiki but create and drive wiki, not be doomed to repeat the(ir) mistakes of the past. Therefore, wiki history is content for wiki people. And please do not edit my talk page contributions on other talk pages than Yours! That user has sufficiently censored our contributions on his talk page already! Manorainjan 01:18, 11 January 2016 (PST)
What means: "Cross MediaWiki direction to remove people from the User namespace)"? I thought the user namespace is for users?Manorainjan 03:21, 2 February 2016 (PST)
- Profiles Since we also have pages that discuss individuals, your userpage is in the main namespace and your usertalk is in the user talk. Koavf (talk) 06:46, 2 February 2016 (PST)
- I see. So, new users with real names immediately go to main space without them even requesting it? How Do You konw they are using real names? I think it should be made policy to A: ask new users if they names are real and B ask them if they are willing to appear in main namespace. Users obviously using pseudos should be asked if the like to change to real name or if they like to get additional real name page in name space as well. Manorainjan 16:07, 2 February 2016 (PST)
Hans Christian Isak Mørch Holm
What are You smoking? Manorainjan 11:57, 30 May 2016 (PDT)
Please finish the work You have started
Revision history of "BME Encyclopedia" shows, You where not only the one who created the doublet of this wiki page, also You choose the wrong entry as base for the merger. The older entries history should be in the merged article. Manorainjan 10:54, 18 August 2016 (PDT)
- Manorainjan, You are so very tedious. Time for wiki vacation again. ~~ MarkDilley
The one who is tired calls others tedious as a result of his psychological projection. That is the one who needs a vacation. I'm not tired, I'm fine. I'm autonomously controlling the dispatching of my energy. Therefore I never need a vacation. Manorainjan 02:01, 19 August 2016 (PDT)
- Exactly. ~~ MarkDilley
Cleaning of TOS
What You can expect if You provide email during registration, has to be part of the registration page! --Manorainjan 11:12, 23 October 2016 (PDT)
What for are talk pages?
https://WikiIndex.org/index.php?title=User:Databoy&diff=next&oldid=193957 What where You thinking? If anyone would like to talk to Databoy, You directed him to his user page. It was to be expected, that Databoy does not want any talk on his user page. Whom do You know, who prefers talk on his user page? So I'm asking You: What where You thinking? Where is the logic in Your action? Who would benefit from that redirect and how? Be precise in Your answer!! --Manorainjan 12:11, 12 December 2016 (PST)
- Your disrespect for Mark, one of the fairest admins on this site, is absolutely astonishing. Databoy (talk) 18:13, 12 December 2016 (PST)
- So You are astonished, that somebody can be more disrespectful than You in Your eyes? Besides that, what is Your mission on WikiIndex? What do You intend to contribute besides conflict that causes the admins waste of time about one single entry? --Manorainjan 01:35, 13 December 2016 (PST)
You got it wrong, as usual. --Manorainjan 01:52, 25 January 2017 (PST)
You are a lovely person to work with, as usual. ~~ MarkDilley
Thanks ;-) --Manorainjan 07:49, 25 January 2017 (PST)
So, You prefer to do things the wrong way around, as usual? --Manorainjan 07:55, 25 January 2017 (PST)
Since you're a leader of this wiki, I figured I might as well point you to a little vote I've started regarding our wiki people policies. --This is MY book, and I'm gonna READ IT!!! 10:18, 25 January 2017 (PST)
- Is this the section you are referring to? WikiIndex talk:Policies and Guidelines#Wiki people policy ~~ MarkDilley
I'm actually pretty annoyed that you moved my old username -> my current username without asking me first. I have outlined my reasons in a mail.
This is something you should have asked me about beforehand and in my opinion, this should not be the default whenever someone changes their name or username. They may have privacy issues or other reasons and may not want this. If I can make a suggestion, you really should ask the user before you do it.
I'd like you to please delete that redirect, which I guess means delete old and new userpages (since old has been moved to new and the history is there for anyone to find). To be clear, I don't want any association with that name at all. Think about it for a second & you should understand why.
I shouldn't have to tell you. I refuse to be defined by my mistakes. That name does not exist anymore. It needs to vanish like a bad dream.
HTTP 500 Internal Server Error
Hello Mark, hope you are well. :)
I am getting blocked from editing certain pages here - returning the above HTTP 500 error. Do you have any ideas what is happening?
- Hi Sean, well thank you, hope you are well too. Are you getting the error still? ~~ MarkDilley
- I'm not too good - awaiting knee surgery at the moment :-(
- Errors are still bothersome - I've discovered three specific errors, and raised them with Koavf here. The HTTP 500 error seems to be happening when trying to edit large-ish articles. Template:WikiStatus is one which refuses to save even the smallest error and gives the HTTP 500. I also tried to archive some of the older messages from Category talk:Active administrators of this wiki and save them to Category talk:Active administrators of this wiki/Archive 2014-15, but it refuses with the HTTP 500. I've searched on MediaWiki.org, and it indicates some kind of throttling or size limit on the setup of the software. :-/
- I'm also getting very random white-page 'database errors'. Even on the smallest articles it occurs, and cache clearing doesn't seem to help. Finally, Special:Upload refuses to work - I can't upload any new logos. Hopefully, you can get Ray or Brandon to resolve the issues. Oh - Happy May Day to you! Sean, aka Hoof Hearted • Admin / 'Crat • talk2HH 07:16, 1 May 2017 (PDT)
Cheking with Ward
In 2010 You said "As far as I understand, PortlandPatternRepository is the first wiki and was nicknamed the WikiWikiWeb." and You are going to check with ward: http://wikiindex.org/index.php?title=Talk:WikiWikiWeb&diff=77664&oldid=77653
- Did You do that?
- What was the result?
I did, remember vaguely that he confirmed. Check out C2.com Portland Pattern Repository's Wiki ~~ MarkDilley
--Manorainjan 09:24, 29 April 2017 (PDT)
Problems remain, some serious
We still have problems with our WikiIndex MediaWiki configuration, and I think they need some urgent attention. I'll try to list as follows:
A) database error - I can't remember the exact wording, but I am still getting blocked from saving an edit - with an on-screen error message regarding database something :-P
B) autopatrolled - I am regularly getting my own edits appearing with the "mark this edit as patrolled"! This simply should not occur. Autopatrolled edits should happen automatically for every registered user who has made more than 10 edits. I think I have passed that threshold <he says, tounge in cheek>.
C) spam blacklist - I am occasionally getting blocked from saving edits by either the spam blacklist, and / or one of the Abuse Filters. These occurrences have happened on existing articles, where the "blocked" phrase or word was already on said article. A recent example is on Regiowikis. Look under the Romania sub-heading - it won't let me save the text which I had to comment out - because it contained "c u r e". As an Administrator, I should automatically be allowed to bypass all blacklists and Abuse Filter triggers - but something must be quite wrong in our software config.
And finally, for now;
D) page protection failure - I was given a heads up on my user talk page about some possible vandalism by Manor. Upon investigation, I noticed that WikiIndex:Add a Wiki had some drivel editing by an IP editor. This is exceedingly alarming! That specific page has been protected (since 2013, I think) so that ONLY sysops can edit it. Something is seriously wrong if an IP editor can edit a supposedly protected page at will. Wrong example, I need to find the correct one.
I noticed Koavf blocked said IP for 2 weeks, and reverted one of their vandal edits, but some still remain - so I will check all their edits.
- Thanks for reaching out Sean. I passed along info. Best, MarkDilley
Hey, master of Visions, lover of communities plodding on, would You care to conduct a survey amongst the inactive admins about their reasons? --Manorainjan 03:12, 4 June 2017 (PDT)
- Good idea, I have no time to be involved in that. ~~ MarkDilley
- Does it really matter if any admin is 'inactive'? There are two specific methods that any person (even IP editors) can use to check the activity of sysops, that are universally enabled on all public MediaWiki sites. Me thinks Manor is just snooping for the sake of snooping. :-/ Sean, aka Hoof Hearted • Admin / 'Crat • talk2HH 15:06, 7 December 2017 (PST)
Thank You Notification
On Wikipedia there is this functionality that You can send thanks to editors for their edits. Don't You think, this positive kind of reaction could be useful in enhancing wiki community? --Manorainjan 10:42, 6 December 2017 (PST)
- Sure if you or others would like to do that, I think it is a great idea. ~~ MarkDilley
Advertising on WikiIndex
Hi Mark. Just found a comment you made back in 2011 about web advertising on GooglePlus, and your clear preference of having an 'off' button for the ads. This ties in with recent thoughts of my own, following my discovery that WikiIndex has a Google AdSense account set up, but not currently enabled. I noticed that our MediaWiki config allows us to have the ads displaying for Anon users and IP editors, but can also turn off the ads once logged in. This is actually an identical modus operandi which many other wikis use - both independent and major wiki farms such as Wikia and the former Wikkii.
I actually see two positive benefits of enabling Anon ads; the first an obvious is a valuable income stream (which shouldn't be dismissed lightly), the second is that it will hopefully improve our wiki community by dangling a carrot and 'encouraging' IP editors to create an account. Naturally, we can edit our Anon site notice to the effect that logging in will remove the ads.
The only downside is that ads do annoy a small percentage of wiki users (but this is no different to life in general, be they ads on TV, or on newspaper websites, etc). In reality, though, if we do happen to p!ss off a tiny minority who detest ads, they probably would not be a valuable community asset anyway!
I am suggesting this, because, whilst the previous efforts of Brandon and Emufarmers are greatly appreciated, WikiIndex really does deserve much better backend support. There are still many bugs outstanding since the last upgrade by Brandon back in 2015, and I am not sure when our database was last backed up!
- We're pretty familiar with AdSense from our days at AboutUs. I recall that you need quite a bit of traffic to generate any meaningful revenue. The more prominent the ad(s), the more revenue and the more "junked up" the site looks. I don't mind an experiment, like maybe an ad under the menu on the left, but not sure who can easily set this up. Also, I don't mind simply trying to get better back end support in place. Open to thoughts Raymond King | talk
- If You don't have such data, than nobody has. Since years, for the most part, this community is in strict denial of the acceptance of the unimportance of this wiki. Therefore anything that could lead to actual data that would allow comparisons with the other entities in the wikisphere which we are to cartograph are avoided. Even the one method which we used to measure other wikis with - the wikiFactor - we have given up and are not to renew it. Manorainjan 11:52, 13 December 2017 (PST)
It's a news page, not a chat room. --Manorainjan 13:26, 14 December 2017 (PST)
- If WikiIndex:Community portal/News is for "news and chat" as You prefer to believe, than for what is WikiIndex talk:Community portal/News? And why is it called News and not News & Chat and whatever crosses Marks mind? --Manorainjan 14:32, 14 December 2017 (PST)
Abuse filter 12 blocking sign-up for Jordan D
Hi Mark, hope you are well.
I have been looking through the Abuse filter log and noticed a trigger alert of 25 August 2018 disallowing the creation of a username (and therefore account) by Jordan D that contained the word 'Jordan'. Knowing that is an acceptable christian name / given name and/or surname, I amended Abuse filter 12 to effectively allow 'Jordan' to create an account contaning said username. Further down the abuse filter log, I also noticed that both Ray and yourself tried to manually create a user account for the same Jordan D on 15 July 2018, but without success. Now that I have amended offending abuse filter, if either yourself or Ray still have contact details for Jordan D, maybe you (or Ray) can try again to create his account.
I shall copy the above to User talk:Ray King, just in case Ray has more time or still has the contact details of Jordan D. Miss your input here, hope you can find time to actively return. Do I guess you are currently busy with the US Mid-Term elections? All the best. Sean, aka Hoof Hearted • Admin / 'Crat • talk2HH 07:10, 17 October 2018 (UTC)
Hello Sean! Thank you so very much for figuring out that weirdness! I will look around and see if I can let him know we figured out the problem (using royal-we :-) - yes the midterm elections are upon us and lots of people have been working very hard for something positive. Breath held for three more days now! Much appreciation Sean. Best, MarkDilley
Pages for deletion
Hello, can you please check Category:Pages for deletion? The category includes my user page and talk page, which I would like to remove because they contain personal information. --Usa11 (talk) 12:35, 9 September 2020 (UTC)