Wikkii Community Wiki
Recent changes • [No WikiNode] • About • [No Mobile URL]
|Founded by:||Sasha Ehrenstein |
|Wiki license:||No license|
The Wikkii Community Wiki was the central gathering point for wiki sysops and users of the British Wikkii wiki farm. Its goal was to increase the sense of community among Wikkii users and wiki sites, and to generally help the membership of Wikkii wikis.
- To increase organisation and cooperation among wiki sites of similar topics;
- To generally increase membership of wikis;
- To create a greater sense of community and involvement and inclusion among wikis and wiki owners;
- To help encourage wikis to move away from Wikia; please see: Wikkii vs. Wikia.
|Wiki size:||12 article pages see stats|
|wikiFactor:||2 info / verify|
(As of: 2013-07-06 – archive.is)
- External links
- Wikkii Community Wiki — at WikiApiary.com (founded 2011), the wiki site for detailed information on all MediaWiki-powered websites
- MediaWiki API — for Wikkii Community Wiki, via archive.is
Wikkii – free wiki hosting — was a free British wiki farm that provided fully featured hosting for wiki sites on any topic. It used the popular MediaWiki software, and it was 100% free for users and individual wiki site owners. Founded January 2009, Wikkii hosted over 3,000 wiki sites; the vast majority of those were a sub-domain of Wikkii.com. Double-digit quantities of 'enhanced' wikis were hosted as sub-domains of Wikkii.net. Individual Wikkii site URLs were created in the format of: YourWiki.Wikkii.com, or YourWiki.Wikkii.net. Sadly, it became evident that the Wikkii operation was not managed as robustly as needed to support four-digit quantities of wiki sites; with availability of service suffering poor access speed, and also, occasional outages of varying timespans. Indeed, one such major site-wide outage affected Wikkii during part of October 2012. Fortunately, any Wikkii wiki sites which had their own custom domain did not seem to be affected by the October 2012 outage.
New owners subsequently took over the Wikkii operation, but failed to provide any sustainable improvement in levels of service, and eventually seemed to have abandoned upkeep of the site. Pages on various Wikkii sites loaded very slowly, if at all. According to various Wikkii editors, those new owners did not responded to enquiries concerning the site. An unofficial Wikkii Facebook page(archive link) was created in order to seek and collate any information. An additional Facebook thread was also created to facilitate discussion.
It ultimately became no longer possible to create new wiki sites on Wikkii; the creation of new user accounts was disabled site-wide on Wikkii, and loading alternative domains result in an on-screen plain-text 'access denied' message.
Somewhere around 2014, the entire Wikkii site went out of service altogether. Of the former 3,000+ individual wiki sites hosted by Wikkii, the web archiving service archive.today at archive.is indicates 2558 separate wiki sites which were created on the main Wikkii.com sub-domain had been archived to some lesser or greater extent, 18 enhanced wiki sites on the Wikkii.net were archived, and up to 94 individual page wikis on the Wikkii.Org incubator site were captured for posterity.
- For a bot-generated list of all known wiki sites hosted on Wikkii, see: User:Emijrp/Wikkii.
- Former external links – via Archive.org
- Wikkii.Org — create free individual wiki pages (offline as of November 2013)
- Wikkii.com — free wiki hosting, with limited customisation (offline as of June 2014)
- Wikkii.net — free advanced fully featured wiki hosting, with Cpanel and FTP access (offline as of February 2014)
- Wikkii.com forums — Wikkii support forums, powered by SMF 1.1.19 (offline as of late June 2014)
- Active Wikkii sites — at Wikkii hub (offline as of late June 2014)